catalog an encrypted Time Machine backup

A place to find NeoFinder support questions and answers
pixel

catalog an encrypted Time Machine backup

Post by pixel »

I wonder if there could be a (future) way to catalog an encrypted Time Machine backup.

As indicated my backup is encrypted. With regular finder I can browse through all directories and preview or load the files within the backups. I do not even need to use the Time Machine browser. In my NeoFinder catalogue the directory structure doesn't go into the directory "backups.backupdb" (the "root" of all Time Machine backups). And yes, in my NeoFinder catalogue settings all archive types are checked (well, I have to admit that there is no "Time Machine" setting) and hidden files are also checked.

I do have succeeded to catalog other encrypted archives (.dmg type) which BTW is a very appreciated NeoFinder feature for me. Thanks to Norbert for that!

Do I miss something? Or would this be a good idea for a future NeoFinder update?
neo-admin
Site Admin

Re: catalog an encrypted Time Machine backup

Post by neo-admin »

As outlined in the NeoFinder Users Guide, the folder "backups.backupdb" is actually a special "bundle" or "package", which NeoFinder by default will ignore.

https://www.cdfinder.de/guide/3/3.12/ti ... disks.html

You want to remove the option to "Ignore Package contents" when cataloging such a folder or volume containing that folder.